State of Emergency and Real Estate
Thursday Jan 14th, 2021Share
State of Emergency does impact real estate!
Government rules and OREA’s key guidance for Realtors aimed at keeping all of us safe:
- Masks must be worn at all times. The additional requirement announced today mandates that masks must be worn outside in public spaces when social distancing is not possible.
- Open houses are banned. Full stop. No exceptions anywhere in the Province until the lockdown is lifted.
- Members should use virtual tools first and to the greatest extent possible to conduct all business. ·
- Urgently needed in-person showings are permitted but MUST be scheduled in advance. Members should limit the number people in the home to one group of two people (plus the buyer’s sales representative) to allow for physical distancing. Also, PPE should be worn at all times, surfaces & hands should be cleaned and sanitized before and after the showing, and Members should take steps to space out appointments and manage the flow of people inside and outside the home. Read more about OREA’s safe showing practices here.
- As an essential service, real estate offices and Brokerages may remain open however the Government has stated that all employees who can work from home should do so immediately. OREA strongly encourages Board and Brokerage offices to close unless it is absolutely necessary to be open. COVID-19 screening guidance for workplaces including Brokerages and Real Estate Board offices can be found here; and
- OREA is working to confirm the impact of the new measures on ancillary services (i.e., staging, photography etc.) and will communicate that to Members as soon as possible.
I know these measures are difficult and we all have had to make sacrifices. But this pandemic will end, and life will return to normal. Until then,we will continue to put the health and safety of our clients and communities first.
Stay well! Stay safe! Stay Home!
Information provided by Sean Morrison OREA President
Here’s the full text of Ontario’s stay-at-home order and all the acceptable reasons to leave your home right now.